Wednesday, January 20, 2010

The Color of Opera

For those who love opera, it is almost impossible to explain the impact it has on the human soul. When you hear a voice that is so extraordinary, it can send shivers down your spine. When you see great artists in a great opera, you can't help but fall in love. The other thing that makes opera so amazing is that those who create, produce, direct, conduct, coach etc...come from all walks of life encompassing a variety of countries, styles and ideals.

For many people of color involved in opera, there is a great pride of being a successful artist in a predominately Caucasian world. Whether you are singing leading roles at the Metropolitan Opera, experiencing a world-class career in Europe or just at the beginning of a career here in the US, African American singers, both men and women, are finding that there is a place for them in a world that used to welcome certain voice types, but seemingly ignored others.

As I attend rehearsals each day for the 75th Anniversary tour of Porgy and Bess, I find that I am amazed by the number of excellent singers and the fact that they come not only from the worlds of opera, but also musical theatre. The age range is between the early 20s up to the 40s and the level of experience ranges from some singers who have performed the opera multiple times to people like me who are immersing themselves in this great work for the first time.

Over the last few years, African American singers have seen an explosion of performance opportunities and it seems that major opera houses are hiring more and more singers of color not only in roles from Porgy and Bess, but are also being cast in a variety of roles where African Americans were usually not found.

It has given me a strong sense of hope about the future of Black singers and it also reminds me to be grateful to those who have paved the way before me. Without the likes of Marian Anderson, Leontyne Price, Martina Arroyo, Grace Bumbry, Willie Waters, Shirley Verrett, George Shirley, William Warfield, Mattiwilda Dobbs, Williard White and countless other artists past and present, I would not be able to devote myself to this career so to them I say a great thanks.

As 2010 gets into full swing, I take great pride in all the components that make me the unique talent I am and hope that for many years all those components are valued, seen and heard.

Peace,
Eric

No comments:

Post a Comment