Wednesday, January 13, 2010

And so it begins

The last few months have been filled with so much change. A few weeks ago I was working on the administrative side of opera and somewhat happy, but feeling stuck. After the end of a recent relationship, I took some time to examine what it was that I really wanted. Was I happy? And if not, what could I do to take control of getting back to happy?

I soon discovered that singing was the missing link and that I had to get back to it. As if the Universe was ready to call my bluff, some local singing opportunities arose and there I was balancing being a singer with working a desk job. (Isn't that they way?) I decided to go one step beyond and got some auditions for companies that would be hearing folks during the all important December month. I knew that if I wanted to be competitive, I would have to have a vocal check-up with someone unfamiliar with my voice. So it was off to baritone-god, former Met star and vocal guru, Mark Oswald. I certainly wasn't excited to plunk down $140 for an hour's worth of "learnin'", but after looking at where his students were singing and reading the testimonials on his website, I figured I at least needed to try.

I arrived promptly for my 9 am lesson and after an hour of mostly vocalizing and singing a few excerpts from two of my arias, I felt light a huge light bulb had been turned on! His idea of optimum resonance in all parts of the voice and on all vowels was a revelation and certainly helped me to find more "squillo" (ring) in the middle voice and ease in the top. I felt stoked and excited about the week of auditions ahead of me.

Five auditions in NYC and a several before that have yielded two contracts. I have never felt more sure of my path in life and am excited to really, finally become the CEO of my brand, Eric McKeever, baritone. I now know that this is a career and not just about singing well. It's my job and I am embracing all of it and if something isn't working, then I will take responsibility and fix it.

There have been many who have said "You can't make a career as a singer," "There's no security," or "They only want x, y and z."
To those I say the following:
-There are singers having careers all over the world. Some are younger than me, some are older, but they are proof that it is possible. So I think, if they can do it, so can I.

-True, the life of a singer is basically like working freelance. You have to "hustle" to get work lined up and it is very competitive, but if your brand is fantastic, someone will want it. When you look at the number of people getting laid off from the corporate world you realize that often the idea of security is not as clean cut as we might think. Often singers who invest the time and energy into their singing careers as if it a full time job, yield results.

Finally:
-Every person who hires has an ideal. While we may never know what that is, we can present our best self at all times. That means being extraordinary. That's a tall order, but again this is a business about putting the best possible person on stage. If you have a stunning voice, looks of a god or goddess, can act better than Meryl Streep and are connected to all the right people, then perhaps things will be easier for you. Perhaps. If you are not carved from the Perfect Opera Singer mold, then you have to find your place in the music/opera world and present your best self and aim to sing so well that the "other" elements won't matter. Again, a tall order, but not impossible. There are so many singers who don't fit the mold who are having careers so there's room for all as long as it is fabulous!

Peace,
Eric

4 comments:

  1. Eric, You must remember, you ARE the ideal. You have a beautiful voice, an amazing attitude and you are always learning. This sets you apart from so many who just KNOW what they know and could care less what you think.
    Good job! Congratualtions on the next part of your life.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I am soo happy for you and am glad you have found your way back and are doing what you need to do to make yourself happy. i have the utmost confidence in you and your ability. Dont listen to the nay-sayers who want to keep you where you stuck. if I had listened i wouldnt be 1/10th the person I am now. Now go out there and fly Little Birdie, FLY. Kevin

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love the post. I'll come back and read it on days that I'm doubting and feeling down about myself, too... Thanks for baring your soul and your thoughts. Lots of love to you. Maija

    ReplyDelete
  4. Beautifully expressed and stated. Bravo, Eric! I can't wait to see and hear where your singing takes you now. Very exciting!

    ReplyDelete