Thursday, August 8, 2013

2013-2014: Four languages, 150 years and a lot of notes

The music of Beethoven, Gounod, J. Strauss II, Henze, Rossini, and Gershwin comprise my upcoming season where I will be singing several new roles and making some wonderful company debuts.

In September I make my role and house debut with Skylight Music Theater (Milwaukee, WI) singing my first Don Pizarro (Fidelio) in an English-language production. Updating the action to mirror a Bollywood film, new Skylight Music Theater Artistic Director Viswa Subbaraman will direct and conduct in his Skylight debut. I am looking forward to another role and house debut when I join Winter Opera St. Louis singing Valentin in their November production of Faust. The production also stars tenor Clay Hilley as Faust, bass Timothy Bruno as Mephistopheles and soprano Julia Ebner as Marguerite. I return to Bel Cantanti Opera (Washington DC) in December to sing Falke in Die Fledermaus marking my fourth appearance with the company having appeared as Sharpless (Madama Butterfly), Figaro (Le Nozze di Figaro) and Taddeo (L'Italiana in Algeri).

January brings an exciting debut singing the title role in Hans Werner Henze's El Cimarron (The Runaway Slave) in a co-production with New York's Center for Contemporary Opera and Skylight Music Theater. The opera is based on the story of escaped Cuban slave Esteban Montejo and premiered at the Berlin Festival in 1970. In March I am excited to return to Opera Naples to sing one of my favorite roles, Figaro in Il Barbiere di Siviglia. I made my Opera Naples debut last season as Theseus in A Midsummer Night's Dream. In April I revisit the music of Gershwin singing excerpts from "Porgy and Bess” with the Lebanon Symphony Orchestra. The concert also features soprano Kearstin Piper Brown.

After a wonderful and busy 2012-2013 season featuring performances with Long Island Opera, Opera Columbus, Bronx Opera, Opera Naples, the Harrisburg Symphony, St. Petersburg Opera, Bel Cantanti Opera and the Center for Contemporary Opera, I am looking forward to a musically diverse and artistically inspiring 2013-2014 season.

No comments:

Post a Comment