Friday, January 18, 2013

Refilling the Well

Last night I had the great privilege of seeing the Metropolitan Opera’s “Le Comte Ory” by Rossini. I haven’t been to the Met in years and the last time I was in standing room and while it was cool, last night’s experience was absolutely perfect! Perfect seats, perfect outfit, perfect show…perfect, perfect, perfect!

A wonderful colleague of mine had an extra ticket to the production so I jumped at the chance to see this cheerful opera starring Juan Diego Florez in the title role. I would have been quite happy, but then I found out that South African soprano Pretty Yende would be making her MET debut that very night. A great tenor + a Rossini opera + a highly-anticipated MET debut only heightened my excitement.




I arrived early and took a few shots before meeting up with mezzo-soprano Juli Borst who so kindly allowed me to accompany her.

We took a few photos before the opera started and met a lovely woman who offered to take our photo together. She couldn’t quite figure out how to do it from my IPod so we just let her take one with Juli’s IPhone (insert comedy routine.) She asked if we were from New York and we said yes. Keeping the conversation going she told us she was from California and was with a group that came out to NY to come to the MET. “Are you a Juan Diego Florez fan?” I asked. Without missing a beat she responded “I love the San Diego Chargers.” I decided that I would end the conversation there, get in position for the photo and get myself prepared for the opera. Thinking of her response, I certainly didn’t have any trouble smiling as she took the picture.

The seats belonged to Juli’s friend’s father who was unable to attend. Here is a shot of the stage from our wonderful seats.




The production began and we were off, the director opted to stage the overture and give the audience more detail on what would lead up to the opening of the opera. Soprano Pretty Yende fell as she was leaving the stage during the overture and an audible gasp was heard throughout the house. Of course, by the time she came in to sing her opening aria, she had clearly resolved to throw caution to the wind and lit the house on fire. She and Juan Diego had a palpable chemistry and were able to milk all the humor while tossing off long lyric lines, runs and high notes like they were nothing. I also have to say that mezzo Karine DeShayes (a voice new to me) showed herself to be a lovely singing actress as Isolier, the male page of Ory, with a beautiful, rich voice and fantastic coloratura!

During the intermission, Juli and I made our way down to the lowest level to see the MET’s wall of fame. It’s actually quite large and includes singers of yesterday and today and was inspired by the photos that hung at the old MET. It was quite stimulating to see so many great artists including a photo of young Jessye Norman that must be seen. Here is a shot of just a segment of the wall.



Act II seemed to fly by and when this international cast (Pretty Yende, South Africa; Juan Diego Florez, Peru; Karine Deshayes, France; Nathan Gunn, USA; Nicola Uliveri, Italy; Susanne Resmark, Sweden and conductor Maurizio Benini, Italy) took their bows, the crowd went wild. Soprano Pretty Yende generated the kind of applause that seems to guarantee that she is on the road to superstardom!

I am always looking for inspiration in the music, text and stories of the characters I am singing. I also find it necessary to seek out inspiration from other sources including listening to other singers so when a free ticket to MET comes my way, I know I have to go. As an artist we are asked to give and give and give. Our well of inspiration does run pretty deep, but we must refill it with experiences that move us, challenge us and ultimately fill us. Last night’s performance gave me more drive, more joy and more excitement about my career path. I see amazing, wonderful talent everywhere around me and am grateful to be performing alongside them. I am also grateful when I see great art in front of me and am able to just sit back, relax and enjoy the ride.

Peace,
Eric

No comments:

Post a Comment