Thursday, October 11, 2012

And I'm worth it

I know some wonderful people. Many of them know me as “an artist.” But many of them have no idea exactly what I do as an opera singer. Many of them think it is cool, some think it’s interesting and others are not sure what to think, but often ask me what “play” I am working on.

I often get asked to burst into impromptu “opera” by folks looking to impress someone. After returning to singing full-time I made a rule that I would no longer sing at someone’s birthday party, in a restaurant or on the spot because 1) It made me feel like “the help” and I couldn’t relax and just enjoy myself and 2) I value the years of training and expense that it has taken to become an opera singer and I don’t think someone can experience the real “voice” unless they see me in my full element (a performance.) This is not to say that if someone influential asked me to burst into song that I wouldn’t. I am always looking for work! But just being the “party trick” does not serve me as an artist. No one would ever ask a visual artist to just “draw something to take home” or a podiatrist to “look at my feet for a hot second.” So why is it that musicians (singers especially) are always asked to stop, drop and sing?

There was a recent article about musicians that went unpaid by the London Organizing Committee of the Olympic and Paralympic games in the Huffington Post:

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2012/07/30/london-olympics-musicians_n_1719850.html

In the article, the Musician’s Union of the UK states that the Committee repeatedly sent emails to professional musicians saying: “Would you like to play? We haven’t got a budget for it, but it would be great exposure to you.” This is interesting in that the article also states that headlining artists saw an increase in their music sales, but other musicians saw no compensation from “exposure” especially since their names were nowhere to be found on television or online. And by the way, “exposure” does not pay the bills.

Please understand, I love what I do and on rare occasion I will sing for free. However, I don’t want it to be an expectation and I also know what it “costs” me every time I sing. The people who ask for a show on the spot, have no idea of the hours spent in the practice room trying to line up the voice or learn how to sing a good “ah” vowel. They don’t see the process; just simply want a sample of the product. I get it. They also don’t understand that like an athlete, there is a warm-up process that needs to happen and if you are sitting at a table enjoying a meal and a glass of wine, the last thing you want to think about is if you’ve got phlegm on your cords.

Because I take what I do to be so ingrained into my own self, I have had to develop a sense of what I have to offer and its worth. Yes, there are tons of singers out there and yes, there are some performance opportunities that one takes on because it feeds your artistic soul more than your belly, but as someone in business for themselves, the product (our talent) has to be nurtured and cared for. It is how I make my living and having someone want to hear it is flattering, but I now tell them, it will be much more impressive if you hear me in performance because you will get a real understanding of what I do. And, I think, a better understanding of the artform as a whole and that what I do is just a part.

Ultimately each artist much decide what they will do and for how much. We all are striving to make a living doing what we love and we should love it enough that it’s all we think about doing for our careers. Many professionals do things pro bono because they believe in giving back and I agree that there are times when I can do that (and have). But I also know that just like every professional who has gone to school, trained, mastered and sacrificed, the thought of someone trivializing what you are passionate about can be frustrating.

So “no” I will not sing at your birthday, bar-mitzvah, wedding, graduation soiree, son’s first poo-party or any other event for free. However, if you are interested in contracting me for something, you can contact me via my website: www.ericmckeeverbaritone.com. Just like the person you hire to create a spectacular event or design a kick-ass website, our time and talent have a worth and if you want to experience it, plunk down the cash and get your money’s worth in a fantastic performance.
Peace,

Eric

No comments:

Post a Comment