Wednesday, September 12, 2012

Essaying Escamillo Part Deux

I am into the final week of rehearsals with Carmen and I am excited to report that I am feeling Escamillo! The superb French coach Anne-Julia Audray has been an invaluable resource not only on the language, but also the character of Escamillo and the music of Bizet. She, along with the wonderful stage director, Karen Fawcett and the fantastic musical director, Fábio Bezuti, are helping me to fine-tune all the elements of Escamillo. It is a fantastic masterclass in this opera. Several years ago I sang Morales and thought I knew the work well, but the “secrets” that they are sharing with me have made getting under Escamillo’s skin a truly joyful journey.

That’s not to say that it has been an easy road. Combining his vocal prowess and physical machismo have been a process and every time I get something right, there is something new for me to work on. However, I feel close to nailing this guy who oozes swagger. I had my costume fitting and had a chance to work in the clothes and let me just say that there is nothing like a tight shirt and pants, jacket and a great cape to make you WANT to be a hot toreador! So far, the role requires me to jump, swing my cape, fight and move with a mixture of sharp precision and a suave fluidity. In addition to his physical movement, giving Escamillo a permanent sneer, all the while smiling and being so confident in not only his skills as a bullfighter, but as a sexy man, makes me not only want to embody him onstage, but in real life!

One of the best rules in opera is fake it, until you make it. I have been trying to get into the head and heart of Escamillo and have had to deal with my own doubt about my abilities to bring him to life. I know every performer goes through this feeling of “can I do this?” Perhaps I have been “trying” to hard and not just being. I now know it’s a mental game with this character. I have all the goods, I just have to believe I can do it and do it well. I am now aiming less for a perfect performance and more for a real, alive and fun one. Last night in rehearsal I had several moments of abandon where I just WAS Escamillo. I still want to get everything “right,” but more than that I want to give the audience a fantastic glimpse into the life of a charismatic man who sings some great music and has an incredible time onstage. En garde!

Peace,
Eric

No comments:

Post a Comment