Friday, May 25, 2012

You got it, now love it

Everyday that I get up to go to a singing job, I am happy. I am not only happy because I love to sing, but because I realize that there are so many singers out there who have had the training, have the voice, the looks and have invested so much and yet, they are sitting behind a desk, working in a restaurant, tending behind bar or any other number of jobs that are paying the bills while they hit the audition trail.

I worked with a colleague who after I complemented them on how busy they were, gave me a “It’s too much” face and walked away. I was shocked. This person didn’t realize that there were hundreds (possibly thousands) who would love to be so busy doing exactly what they love everyday, getting decent pay and being surrounded by like-minded individuals.

It is very easy to see all the things that are wrong with this or that company, this or that colleague, this or that costume etc…but we have to stop and recognize that there are so many people who would LOVE to be sitting in that rehearsal, working those long hours and singing their hearts out. We are all humans and we get tired, cranky, frustrated and like many opera singers, myself included, have to juggle between keeping our voices in tip top shape and giving it time to restore. Sometimes the demands of the career can take a toll and we start becoming negative about what we have to do instead of waking up each day excited about what we get to do.

I have found myself not appreciating where I am lately and so I am reminding myself (and others) that every singing job we get means that there are people who did not get it and that we should be grateful. There are opportunities to learn from the conductor, the director, our colleagues and those behind the scenes and that we should be grateful that we get to get up everyday and go into a rehearsal for 6 (or more) hours versus sitting behind a desk temping. I am blessed with a voice that has afforded me the chance to sing glorious music, work with wonderfully unique, fascinating and talented people and take me to places I would normally never get to see so I am grateful.

My goal this weekend is to remind myself that I am a working singer and that with the market being so competitive and filled with such an overabundance of talent, I should be grateful for every opera job I am fortunate enough to experience. I am getting paid to sing. Isn’t that what I’ve worked so hard for? So why not enjoy it? Or better yet, love it! Instead of complaining about how much we have to do, maybe we should recognize that we have so much to do because all of the time, energy and financial investments are paying off and that with great talent comes great expectations. We all want the “career” but then when it is given to us, the tendency is to complain about how much time and energy it takes to maintain the expectations placed upon us.

It’s my belief that the people who have achieved the most success in this business are those who set themselves apart by having an extraordinary voice, a brilliant set of acting chops, a wonderful command of languages and that special “it” factor. But on top of that, they appear to love being an opera singer and enjoy everything from the rehearsal process to performing to being in the spotlight. They seem to have a fire, a passion and a sheer joy for what they do. And they always seem grateful.


Peace,
Eric

No comments:

Post a Comment