Friday, May 6, 2011

Springing into something new

I used to be on the administrative side of opera and loved it (most of the time.) However I always knew deep in my being that I was meant to be on the stage so I left my last administrative gig a year and a half ago in order to pursue this crazy life I now have and haven't looked back. It's been tough at times. On more than one occasion I wondered if I made the right choice. After the thousands of dollars invested in lessons, coachings and auditions, anyone in their right mind would have to take stock and see if it was all worth it. But being here in NYC right now and having several auditions lined up and lots of exciting things in development (more of that in future posts) I am reassured that I am on the right path. (Even though it has its bumps.)

I relate all this because I recently read that my former employer Opera Columbus has had to slash staff and will be under assumption of the Columbus Association for Performing Arts. I'm certain it was a difficult decision for this plucky company to make, but one that ensured that the artform is preserved. While several members lost their jobs, two staffers will be added into the CAPA fold and will continue to work for Opera Columbus.

When the economy went south and things were toughest at Opera Columbus, I realized that my desire for security at a 9 to 5 was just as fragile as the thought of being a performer. I decided then to take a risk (it always begins with a risk) and go back into singing. I admit I have been VERY lucky. I have somehow come to understand how to manage the demands of being a singer and the knowledge it takes to be in the "business." It is a constant juggle and while I love it, I do wish that things could be more consistent. Less feast or famine and more, well, feast-feast.

I've also had the luxury of branching out and doing some unusual things like my interactive recital Rogues and Scoundrels which had its premiere in April in Columbus, Ohio. It was a success and will be performed again next January at Georgia College. I am also returning to doing straight plays with a role in Evolution Theatre's Kindness which is part of RAPPture, a festival of plays by Adam Rapp.

I will be announcing my 2011-2012 season soon and am looking forward to mixing it up with more opera, recital/cabaret, musical theatre, straight theatre and some other ventures which I will reveal as they materialize.

With the warm weather upon us (and a lot of rain as well,) it's time to allow the seeds of ideas to be nurtured and grow so that "springing" into the future will be filled with great beauty, purpose and excitement.

Peace,

Eric

No comments:

Post a Comment